Thursday 28 April 2011

Home is where the heart is

Yesterday I'd stolen a few moments to go to the studio and take some photos for our Katryoshka Etsy shop, of course I got totally distracted and that's how this blog post was born. As I was clicking away on some prints of Emma's past work I began to see a common theme. Many featured large houses all with some resemblance to White House Farm. Emma was born in the house she now lives in and although she did spend some time living in San Francisco and other places, she has always gravitated back here. In this day and age how many people do you know who have lived almost all their lives in the same house? I can't think of many other than my grandparents in Germany. I am yet to question the Muse over whether the repeated appearance of White house style houses is intentional in her work but here are a few examples I photographed yesterday for you to enjoy, Kat x 







3 comments:

  1. the style of the first few images reminds me of an artist...but i can't quite remember the name....erg....i'll think on it

    ReplyDelete
  2. aha! i thought of it! remedios varo! check out these links, i think you'll see what i mean:

    http://www.ottosell.de/pynchon/varo1.jpg
    http://www.leninimports.com/remedios_varo_gallery_11.jpg
    http://proton.ucting.udg.mx/galeria/arte/Remedios%20Varo/remedios%20varo.jpg

    they have a lot of the same colouring, simplified shapes, brushed paint look and slight eeriness because they are perfect looking

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love love love those pictures, wow, especially the castle. I will have to propose to Emma that she does a castle in the style of White House, thanks for the inspiration once again Katlin x

    ReplyDelete