Thursday 19 May 2011

Chopping Boards preview

3 vintage chopping boards of varying sizes hand painted in a mis-match of folk art styles; referencing Mexico, Russia & the English Garden. Sold as a set they will make a colourful & highly original adornment to a kitchen wall. The larger of these rustic boards was purchased in Spain in the 1970's & has not only been authentically distressed by years of use in the kitchen prior to health and safety rendering it as obsolete but, I note with interest that it was used latterly as a target for my son's air rifle as it appears to be peppered with lead shot...all contributing to an authentic patina of battle worn history.
The medium sized board came from Habitat in the 1970s & was part of a set if 6. I recall there was a period where rustic living was all the rage and a tough slab of steak & baked potato would be served to horrified guests on these wooden boards. Still, it is a pretty shape but not good for gravy.
The third & smallest of the 3 came from The Best Shop In The World (this is according to mine & Kat's spectrum of retail therapy awards). In the tiny village of Dwight, Ontario , 'Treasures'is the original Cornucopia of AMAZING retro- crap that Kat & I seek out on a full time basis. We want to buy it all but are limited by luggage restrictions (sort of). Anyway, the little chopping board is rustic & no doubt has a history all it's own that we can only imagine. 
Each one has been hand-painted with pleasure in my kitchen & if not purchased soon a space will be made for them on my wall!
PS. I am going to get the Habitat steak boards reproduced as I really want to have a retro steak board dinner party....
 From Emma. x

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely love these amazon cutting boards! They did have a slight smell to them but it wasn't overpowering by no means. I would definitely use mineral oil on them before using them. It does make them smoother and helps preserve them…..

    ReplyDelete