Tuesday 25 October 2011

Katryoshka on tour - Zealands, October 2011

This weekend I spent a brief but intense two nights in Bantham, on the South Devon coast. Catch up on our previous visit here. Anyway its become a kind of a tradition we do on my birthday when you can be almost guaranteed some nice, sunny weather. We had lots of fun and the only incident of displeasure occurred on Saturday night when we visited the local pub. Now I have felt for some time that the pub has been going through a sort of evolution process in the last few years. Gone are the locals and farmers propping up the bar and instead the new clientele appear to have been chosen to compliment and enhance the very high priced menu and slightly detached atmosphere. I hasten to add I have made these observations when sober and on Saturday night I was not so. I guess five ladies in high spirits crowding the bar is not ideal but as there was no where else to sit we made ourselves as home. I do believe a couple of songs broke out but I was abruptly told that singing was banned while there were any diners present or at least until the singing was 'in tune', the cheek!! The manner in which we were spoken to led us to believe that it was clear we were not welcome so everyone but one left and stood outside debating the event. Meanwhile, my friend who had remained inside to finish her drink had it poured down the sink and was shown the door. I am of the opinion that we need to preserve what is left of the British pub scene and celebrate its very essence and tradition. Music, singing and laughter are surly key to a great atmosphere and a great night out but I guess not everyone feels the same about this. Other than that we had a lot of good times, beach, beer and dog mania as usual, catch it all here on this short stop-motion film, Kat x
 

No comments:

Post a Comment