Thursday 17 November 2011

The Christmas Tree project

Every year Tamworth church holds a Christmas Tree festival. Its an event where local businesses and charities can promote and publicise their service to local residents and judges pick a winner who gets lots of extra publicty. This year I decided to enter the charity I volunteer for so I had spend the last couple of weeks spray painting random objects and liberally sprinkling glitter everywhere. The big day arrived and Quin and I set off for the church with bags rammed full of glittery paraphernalia. On entering the building I was struck immediately by how many people were buzzing around, you could cut the air with a knife. Soon after that my eyes fell upon the 'Tamworth Ladies Lace Society' tree which was decorated beautifully with a tiny vintage Christmas scene, so sweet!! I took a sharp intake of breath as they showed me the tree they were supplying me with, rather scrawny it was in the middle of pews and not one of the best position for attracting visitors. Anyhow, Quin and I set to work hanging and tying on our efforts. While doing this I kept hearing whispers from the 'Tawmorth Rotary Club' tree about judging preferences and the importance of LED fairy lights which I of course had none of. At one point I thought a scrap might break out when the Tamworth Library people turned up to find that the Round table has taken their tree. Luckily a woman well versed in handling such prickly situations calmed everything down and took them to a very favourable tree along one of the walk ways. I am already planning big things for next year and as I tied my spray painted and glittered house phone to the top of my tree I quietly reminded myself that originality consists in trying to be like everybody else --and failing!! Sounds good to me, Kat x

No comments:

Post a Comment