Wednesday 9 November 2011

The Fashion show project ~ 'Moulin Rouge on acid'

If there's one thing I have never been very good at its self promotion. Give me a charity to represent and I'll chase round anywhere for publicity, throwing statistics round at anyone who'll listen but when its to help my own projects I just shy away. I think it stems from the whole idea of selling yourself which I find awkward and uncomfortable but sadly an effort needs to be made to share the activities at WHF or else whats the point? The studio has been ticking over for the past few months and its main purpose seems to have been housing everything that Emma and I make so we can wander amongst it at our leisure. However this approach does not pay any bills so I have decided to use the studio as a venue for creative activity, inviting anyone who would like to join in to come over for the day and enjoy food and projects in a relaxed and hopefully inspiring atmosphere. To launch this new venture I am planning a fashion show for the beginning of February. The collection, 'Moulin Rouge on Acid', is inspired by the 1952 film production, Moulin Rouge. While I did enjoy the 2001 Baz Lurman production I find the darker and at times desperate tones of this old film gritty and therefore more inspiration. It tells the story of Henri de Toulouse Lautrec who frequently visits the Moulin Rouge, where he drinks cognac and draws sketches of the dancers and singers. There is bling, frills and fru fru galore and my interpretation shall be to recreate similar dresses using every colour of the rainbow. I have completed my first piece which I photographed Camille in and hopefully I shall be making many more which I'll keep posting here so you can see the collection develop. I have also posted the film below if you fancy being entertained Parisian style. It really is a masterpiece!! If any blog followers fancy joining in the action here at White House just drop me an e-mail and I guarantee V.I.P. treatment, Kat x 

6 comments:

  1. This sounds brilliant, make sure you plug it at every opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Luce, I need tyo employ you as my excellent PR girl, can I pay you in outfits?? x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm happy to hear this and best wishes! You were telling me about this fantastic idea in the past and I was wondering when you would launch it... x x

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea Kat, if there wasn't an ocean and a few continents between us I'd be there!
    As for the self promotion, remember that saying: if you've got it flaunt it!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for that tip Kyle, flaunt all the way!!

    Yuki - we NEED to catch up so I can read your cards for 2011 xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like an amazing event

    I look forward to attending one in the co ing months

    Xxx

    Anika

    ReplyDelete