Monday 11 July 2011

A lost weekend

After the recent dramas between Alpha male and I we decided to go and spend some quality time together away from White House Farm. He arranged it all and everything remained a secret until we had delivered our children to my Sister and Mother receptively. Then we headed through London to our Hotel. I have this strange minor obsession when I am out and about our capital city of not looking like a tourist, (which of course I am). I try to achieve this by dressing eclectically and side glancing at tube and bus maps in rather a sly manner so it appears I know my way around. I also charge at great speed through the barriers at tube stations only to have the doors wind me by slamming shut due to my oyster travel card running out. I don't know why I'm bothered but I am! Anyway we had a great first night as Ben had bought tickets for Derrick Carters secret party at a warehouse in Shorditch. Back in my late teens, when I was obsessed with American house music, he was one of my favourite DJ's and he was playing on the night I met Alpha male, eleven years ago. We danced like mad persons for a few hours and then took ourselves back to the hotel. I guess now I'm a bit older I consider the next day as equally important and it happened to be a lovely day of wandering about aimlessly. Highlights included the Tommy Nutter exhibition at the  Zandra Rhodes Museum of Fashion and Textiles, itself a fantastic conversion of a former cash and carry warehouse. Menswear designer Tommy Nutter was one of the pioneers of funky men's tailoring in the 60's and 70's and the museum had loaned some fabulous suits he'd made from the likes of Cilla Black, Twiggy and even Mick Jagger's suit when he married Bianca. That evening we went to go and see War Horse, an epic tale that really deserves a blog all of its own so watch this space. I cried a lot and struggled to walk effectively but that was down to the ridiculous high heels I chose to wear, (farm girl enters city and does extreme glamour awkwardly). It was great to get away and reintroduce each other to our carefree selves. You can live a decade with your partner and know every side of their personality but on a day to day basis when your busy functioning as a team to get things done its easy to forget certain aspects, the fact you simply enjoy being together. Thanks Alpha male for a really special time, I know I'm a lucky girl!! Kat x
The man himself Tommy Nutter, 17 April 1943– 17 August 1992

1 comment:

  1. Oh I love the way you write! so funny! I wish I had that skill. Sounds like a great night in London! I used to live there! and I had such a great time! now I moved with my hubby to the sea side. take care and keep dancing and writing.x

    ReplyDelete