Tuesday 27 September 2011

Albear update

The last thirty six hours have been a bit of a blur and prompted me to update you on my horsey journey with my Welsh Cob Albear. If you missed my previous posts about him you can catch up here and here. Things have been up and down since I begun my work with him, he has come on tremendously but several incidents have really given my confidence a real knock. The third one occurred yesterday as I was enjoying some time with him while the kids were at school/nursery. We had a lovely grooming session and then went for a walk around a stubble field. Everything was going well until a stupid pheasant flew out of nowhere and he legged it. In the process he knocked me flying face first and my arm became tangled in the lunge line which lead to me being dragged a short distance before I was released and he fled. It all happened so fast and I was in shock for the rest of the day, mostly reliving the event and wondering about what else could have happened. Dealing with a horse so young and green is a challenge I thrive on and enjoy but the risk of serious injury seems greater with Albear then any of the youngsters I've worked with before. Alpha Male feels that his spirit is a good thing but I feel I have so much more to loose if I get seriously injured. I have spent the whole time since the incident weighing up whether I should sell him for a safer, more appropriate horse but I have come to the decision than I can minimise the risks by slowing things down and giving myself and him more time to form a deeper and more trusting relationship. Only time will tell if I've made the right decision. On a lighter note I have a cracking black eye and facial graze for the school run. Alpha male is seriously worried about his reputation, Kat x

No comments:

Post a Comment