Tuesday 6 September 2011

Dilemma

Today was first day back at school. My little girl was a nervous wreck and to be quite honest so was I. She put on her school uniform and I put on my uniform, normal boring jeans, jersey top and a paint spattered army coat. Gone was my Katryoshka alter ego, in her place was Kat Stubbs - mother and wife. On my way back from the school run I began thinking about a conversation I had the night before with Alpha Male. I had been testing the water about dying my hair dark with a silver streak at the front. To describe the look I was going for I used Daphne Guiness as an example (see previous post about her here), his response 'Why are you always trying to be someone else?'. His comment confirmed my suspicions, the new hair idea was not going to go down well and was best put on the shelf permanently but it has really bothered me and took me back to being an experimental teenager being told an idea was stupid. Add to the mix this mornings 'dressing down to blend in on the school run' and his comments ran through my mind again. I have always had mad hair in one way or another, it was royal blue and fabulous when we met and at other times completely unstyled with terrible dark roots. The way I see it is you don't have to be famous or a celebrity to wear and look how you want and if it makes you feel good then its worthwhile (unless of course you job dictates boundaries and luckily for me, mine doesn't). I've never seen it as attempt to be like someone else, I just get ideas and  inspiration from the people around me but I guess he feels that anyone who makes a bold statement is trying to show off and draw attention to themselves. I obviously must agree to some extent as proved by my need to dress down for the playground therefore avoiding unnecessary attention. I just hate and will always hate the idea that with age you should stop enjoying your clothes and hair. What a conflict - one person to him might be an old bat with orange hair and mad clothes trying to retain a sense of fun and the same person to me is an inspirational woman who refuses to be told what she can and can't wear. It seems to me that he'd much prefer the elegant, refined lady who is discreet and age appropriate in her style and dress sense where as I just see bland and dull. I guess the time has come for me to decide who I'm going to be, scary! Kat x

3 comments:

  1. I struggle with this too. You know I wanted to get my hair done just the way you described, but I'm thinking more Josie and the Pussycats than Daphne Guiness. I've got alot of grey in the front and apart from looking cool I thought it would be practical and make sense. My husband poo-pooed the idea. So did my hair dresser. I still think it would look quite chic...instead I've got boring "natural" brown hair. I get what you say about the uniform thing too...my girls are always telling me to dress more like the other Mum's but I think secretly they like that I'm a little bit different (and don't read outrageous here, I just mix things up with a bit of vintage etc) God this has turned into an essay! Be yourself I say and go for the silver "stripe" x

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could argue that everyone dressed in Next, M&S and catalogue clothes are all "trying to be someone else" who decided we should all follow each other anyway?
    I used to be more adventurous, purple hair, pink, green, long, short - you name it.
    Now, I quite like the natural look. I do so hate the 'comfortable' clothes I wear though. I'm going to lose weight, then start dressing more creatively.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Ladies for your pearls of wisdom,

    Kylie - I'll get my silver streak if you do, then we can both blame each other!! About to pick Anya up so will dig out outragous hat to lift otherwise dull clothes!!

    Lucy - I can't imagine you wearing 'comfortable' clothes! Thanks for giving me perspective on the situation, you have terrific insight thats all I can say xx

    ReplyDelete